For over seven hundred years, the history of the Butlers has been the history of Anglo-Irish relations. One of the most illustrious of the Norman families in Ireland, they stemmed from the 10th century Rollo of Norway, First Duke of Normandy. In 1171 he accompanied Henry II to Ireland and was made Chief Butler, whose duty it was to attend the coronation of the Kings of England, conferring upon them the first cup of wine. From this office, the Butlers derived their surname.
Originally seated at Gowran, the Butlers moved their main stronghold to Kilkenny Castle in 1391, which remained in their possession until the 1900s. Over the centuries the Butlers acquired and built many prestigious homes throughout Ireland. An example of their dedication to architecture and fashion is the Swiss Cottage in Cahir, Co Tipperary. This delightful ‘cottage orné’ built in 1812 by Richard Butler, 1st Earl of Glengall was designed by the famous Regency architect John Nash.
Butlers Town House Hotel Dublin is an example of one of Townhouses typically owned by The Butler Family. Predominantly a private residence over the centuries, Butlers Town House Hotel was purchased and renovated by its current owners in 1995.